William G. "Bill" Bankhead, Jr., and David Coley Cancer Research Program
The Legislature established the following goals:
Expand cancer research capacity in the state by:
- Identifying ways to attract new research talent and attendant national grant-producing researchers to cancer research facilities in this state;
- Implementing a peer-reviewed, competitive process to identify and fund the best proposals to expand cancer research institutes in this state;
- Funding through available resources for those proposals that demonstrate the greatest opportunity to attract federal research grants and private financial support;
- Encouraging the employment of bioinformatics in order to create a cancer informatics infrastructure that enhances information and resource exchange and integration through researchers working in diverse disciplines, to facilitate the full spectrum of cancer investigations;
- Facilitating the technical coordination, business development, and support of intellectual property as it relates to the advancement of cancer research; and
- Aiding in other multidisciplinary research-support activities as they inure to the advancementof cancer research.
Improve both research and treatment through greater participation in clinical trials networks by:
- Identifying ways to increase adult enrollment in cancer clinical trials;
- Supporting public and private professional education programs designed to increase the awareness and knowledge about cancer clinical trials;
- Providing tools to cancer patients and community-based oncologists to aid in the identification of cancer clinical trials available in the state; and
- Creating opportunities for the state's academic cancer centers to collaborate with community-based oncologists in cancer clinical trials networks.
- Reduce the impact of cancer on disparate groups by:
- Identifying those cancers that disproportionately impact certain demographic groups; and
- Building collaborations designed to reduce health disparities as they relate to cancer.
乐动体育登录Researchers at any university or research institute in the state are eligible to apply.