Tobacco Use in Pregnancy
Contact the Maternal and Child Health Section
Maternal and Child Health Section
乐动体育登录4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin A13
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1721
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of:
- Premature birth
- Being born too small
- Certain birth defects like cleft lip and cleft palate
- Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
- Having a higher risk of ear infections, respiratory problems and asthma after birth
乐动体育登录Quitting smoking reduces your risk of:
- Lung cancer
- Other cancers
- Heart disease
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Other chronic problems
It is hard to quit, but if you are interested in quitting smoking there are resources that can help you.
- Talk to your health care provider.
- The website has information and resources on quitting smoking.
- Call 1-877-U-CAN-QUIT (1-877-822-6669) to speak with someone about quitting.
- Call your local health department to find out about area smoking cessation classes.
To learn more about the effects of smoking during pregnancy and the benefits of quitting visit the links below: