Contact: Florida Health
Influenza (flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by flu viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The best way to prevent the flu is to get a flu vaccine each fall.
How Do You Know if it is the Flu?
- Body aches and pains
- Cough and chest discomfort which may become severe
- Early and significant exhaustion
- Fatigue and weakness that may last up to 2–3 weeks
- High fever (102–104 degrees F) for 3–4 days
- Occasional stuffy nose, sneezing and sore throat
What to Do if You Get the Flu?
- Consider layered apparel for body temperature changes.
- Do not share cups and eating utensils.
- Do not take aspirin products without physician approval.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Over-the-counter cold or cough medicines may also relieve some flu symptoms. Check with your doctor.
- Sleep and take it easy.
- Take acetaminophen (such as Tylenol) or ibuprofen (such as Advil or Motrin) to relieve your fever and aches.
- Wash your hands frequently.
乐动体育登录Most people who get the flu recover without having to see their healthcare provider. If your flu symptoms worsen, you have a high temperature for more than a few days, or if you seem better but then feel worse, call your healthcare provider right away.
Interested in Learning More About the Flu?