Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with E-Cigarette Use, Vaping
September 20, 2019
State and federal agencies have been coordinating over the past several weeks to investigate . While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have not identified a cause, all reported cases appear to be linked to e-cigarette use. More information is needed to conclusively determine the cause. The CDC and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are gathering information on the products and/or substances used.
The Florida Department of Health is responding to this emerging public health issue with the following activities:
- Coordinating with the CDC and FDA to develop a disease case definition and to report cases of illness to the CDC to be part of the national investigation;
- Working with county health departments and clinicians to identify and investigate reports of lung disease associated with electronic cigarette or vaping use; and,
- Monitoring and conducting surveillance of lung disease that is associated with electronic cigarette or vaping use.
The Florida Department of Health encourages health care providers to report cases of significant respiratory illness of unclear etiology and a history of vaping to their local county health department乐动体育登录 or the Florida Department of Health’s Bureau of Epidemiology at 850-245-4401.
For questions about treatment and clinical management of these patients, contact the Florida Poison Information Center Network at 800-222-1222.
For more detailed information on this issue, please visit the
乐动体育登录For information on case counts, please visit
乐动体育登录For more information about youth vaping, please visit
- CDC has released interim recommendations for healthcare providers, health departments, and the public.
- Until we know more, if you are concerned about these specific health risks, CDC recommends that you consider refraining from using e-cigarette or vaping products.
- If you are an adult who used e-cigarettes containing nicotine to quit cigarette smoking, do not return to smoking cigarettes.
- If you have recently used an e-cigarette or vaping product and you have symptoms like those reported in this outbreak see a healthcare provider.
- Regardless of the ongoing investigation:
- Anyone who uses an e-cigarette or vaping product should not buy these products (e.g., e-cigarette or vaping products with THC or CBD oils) off the street, and should not modify or add any substances to these products that are not intended by the manufacturer.
- Adults who do not currently use tobacco products should not start using e-cigarette products
About the Florida Department of Health
The department, nationally accredited by the , works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.
Follow us on Twitter at and on . For more information about the Florida Department of Health please visit marthasullivanmusic.com.
Corrections & Clarifications
Original Published 3:57 PM ET, Fri Sept. 20, 2019 | C&C on 8:37 AM ET, Tue Oct. 01, 2019
C&C: added link for the case counts related to vaping.